Prof. Antonella Viola has been interviewed by Italian broadcaster TG1, following her return to Padova. In this interview, she talks about a research project investigating the correlation among inflammation and cancer. In Padova, Prof. Viola leads a group of eight researchers working on different projects with the aim of designing novel personalized therapy against inflammation-related diseases. The role of her team in the MERLIN project is to investigate the mechanism of action of Mesenchymal Stromal Cells (MSC) in dampening liver inflammation.
BioInVision exhibited MERLIN work at the International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR) 2015 meeting in Stockholm, Sweden, 24 – 27 June.
Our sister project REDDSTAR and Leiden University Medical Center are co-organizing EU MSC2 2015, a meeting in Leiden, NL on September 7th and 8th to bring together nine EU-funded, mesenchymal stromal cell-focussed consortia. Projects include: REDDSTAR, REACH, RETHRIM, Stellar, MERLIN, Nephstrom, SCIENCE, VISICORT and Adipoa-2. This two day, interactive meeting will be held at the Stadsgehoorzaal Leiden.
The objectives of the meeting are to:
- Enhance knowledge-sharing between EU research groups working in the mesenchymal stromal cell biology domain
- Engage with European Commission Project Officers and other stakeholders from International Society of Cellular Therapy, stem cell ethicists and the European Medicines Agency (EMA)
- Assemble trans-disciplinary research groups working across the global health spectrum but with a common focus of mesenchymal stromal cell biology
- Bring up-and-coming researchers together for networking purposes, and to explore future consortium building and international funding application opportunities
Expected impacts and outcomes:
- Provide opportunities to develop new mesenchymal stromal cell networks
- Disseminate the findings and challenges between MSC-focussed consortia
- Improve the communication potential of research, outcomes and the value of the research
- Explore potential for new commercial technologies
- Collectively enhance the quality and impact of planned clinical trials
These EU projects are:
- Boosting human capital: 20-30 positions created
- Improving the quality of life for European citizens
- Progressing the clinical translation of MSC research and developments
For queries: LeidenRM@gmail.com
Danielle Nicholson, Orbsen Therapeutics, NUI Galway and Brigitte Wieles, Project Manager LUMC
Two new related publications from EMC are available here. The publications look at whether mesenchymal stromal cells are immune cells, and how mesenchymal stem cells immune cells in different ways.
MERLIN brochure and flyer are now available here.
The hepatology team at the John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford are hosting an Open Forum for patients, carers, medical professionals on the latest developments in liver research on Wednesday 29 April.
More information is available on the PSC Support page.
Congratulations to Dr. Elliman and his team at Orbsen Therapeutics for their nomination for Spin-Out Company Impact Award, an annual Knowledge Transfer Ireland Impact Award.
“We are honoured to be nominated for KTI Spin-out Company of the Year. It recognises the huge efforts made by our own research team and our network of research partners to move Orbcel to the clinic so efficiently. Also, we are grateful to NUI Galway for their support over the years. The TTO have been instrumental in our progress to this point and we continue to enjoy working with them.” – Dr. Elliman
You can read more here.
- @unibirmingham 's Ground-breaking research launches into the patient experience of #celltherapies… t.co/gSqcQ0lhMr Time ago 5 Hours via Twitter Web Client
- RT @PintailLimited: This week's PROJECT HIGHLIGHT comes from @FP7Merlin #MSC Researcher Dr Samantha de Witte defends her PhD dissertation"… Time ago 5 Days via Twitter Web Client
- Seven steps towards health and happiness in the lab t.co/9zLQCVbo34 Time ago 11 Days via Twitter for iPhone
Follow @fp7merlin on twitter.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Seventh Framework Programme for research, technological development and demonstration under grant agreement no 602363. The material presented and views expressed here are the responsibility of the author(s) only. The EU Commission takes no responsibility for any use made of the information set out.